Are These Yaw VR Chair Issues Normal?

I also posted this message in the Discord channel to see if I could get help from other users.

So I've been using my Yaw VR Unit since Thursday night and have had a lot of issues so I'm not sure if my unit is defective or not, but it definitely seems like it's not working correctly. I wanted to see if I could work the kinks out before I asked any questions.

When it works it's really fun, but that's very seldom and I always end up running into issues and having to troubleshoot making it a chore to use. So first off, sometimes everything works as it should, but I'm constantly having to calibrate it and use the test mode to see if it's going to even flat out work, sometimes nothing will even register, sometimes it will just vibrate and feel like the shell is slipping, or sometimes it will attempt to dump me out even when all the axis set to only 12 degrees and I have to power off let it sit for a couple of minutes and then power it back on in hopes it will work correctly the next time.

Sometimes it will work correctly but most of the time I have to repeat the process a couple of times before it will work correctly again. Btw, I've been using the manual test mode because if it's not working right test ride goes crazy and I have to turn the tracker off.

Next, even when it does work, it's only for a little bit before everything gets screwy. So far I've played Epic Roller Coasters, NL2, and Elite Dangerous using SRS (tried through Yaw Game Engine this morning and it didn't work.

Both roller coaster games will work for a ride or 2 but become uncalibrated after that, NL2 eventually starts slamming me into the ground, sometimes even on the first ride, and then rinse and repeat with restarting hoping it will work again. Tried NL2 in SRS and Yaw Game Engine, worked a bit better than SRS (NL2 in SRS didn't even turn the right way a lot of the time so it was super jarring).

When tried ED in SRS, it worked, but it was not a comfortable ride at all. I chalk that up to probably needing to tweak the default settings, but right after I exited the game and stopped the device, my unit wouldn't work correctly in test mode again. Had to power off, unplug for a few min, and keep trying to get it to work right again.

When I use the unit, I always calibrate it first and then also calibrate it again right before I get back in the chair after getting out of it. As instructed. In SRS I always calibrate it a second time through their app. I never let the device start when I'm not in the chair. One of my motors has gotten to the low forties, but most of the time they're in the 20-30s, haven't checked in the middle of a ride or anything though. If it helps, my unit came with the cooling kit pre-installed.

Any suggestions? Or does this happen to most users?

Comments

• @Fizo nothing that you described sounds normal based on my experience.

Issues you mentioned:

• Sometimes works, sometimes not: Mine consistently works.
    • Constantly calibrating: I usually calibrate before starting a game. I have noticed that it can get out of whack a bit over an hour or two of playing though.
    • Always using test mode: I've never used this
    • Sometimes just vibrating: Actually I did have this experience when using the YawVR game engine for Elite Dangerous. I switched to SRS and the experience was a lot better.
    • Shell slipping: I rarely notice this, only when it is making large rapid motions it may slip a little.
    • Dumping you out even when axis are limited: I've noticed some weirdness around the auto-park feature, but I've not had a problem with it respecting the axis limits that I set while in-game.
    • NL2 with SRS was outstanding for me.
    • Elite Dangerous with SRS was very nice with defaults, I did not need to tweak at all.

So to summarize, it sounds like you are having lots of problems that I am not having. I wonder if you have a component that is overheating, it certainly sounds like it since you have some luck after powering it all down for a while. I'd reach out to their support email beause the company seems to completely ignore this forum. Or you could reach out in discord too.

• I've not had my device working except in test and manual modes.

It's never worked with the game, Assetto Corsa. Most frustrating, I've been trying to debug it through the 'dashboard' feature showing only engine RPM and vehicle speed working. The three acceleration axes show only tiny value < 0.00x and shell without me sitting in it just sits there twitching nervously.

My connection is via a 6E ethernet cable and I've checked the Windows firewall settings to ensure the signals are not being held there. My PC is a new one from Aldi and described as for serious gaming so doubt this is the problem. ACorsa works well with VR (Rift S) after a struggle getting to know that, the wheel, T300RS has realistic feedback forces, but the yawvr, nothing, just a bit of twitching and vibration.

Any suggestions for things to check from the experts out there, bearing in mind the PC is 'as purchased' except for the firewall relaxations and software loading?

• I don't play driving games, so can't help too much. I would suggest taking a look at Sim Racing Studio (SRS) though, it helped quite a bit for Elite Dangerous. I tried playing ED with Yaw Game Engine and had a similar experience where the YawVR just vibrated but never responded to any in-game stuff. SRS worked flawlessly. But... it's another $50 you have to spend for a license, and if you have a Rift S you likely won't be able to get motion compensation working anyway, so maybe cut your losses.

• Thanks for that supatrupa. Your comment about motion compensation with the Rift S, presume that's an anti-nausea thing? Really new to the whole VR thing so I don't know what I don't know. I have used Assetto Corsa with the Rift S successfully, and so long as you drive smoothly nausea is mild to non-existent, but that may not be what you're referring to of course..

• @RichardPH hi, no I'm not referring to nausea. Motion compensation is what is required to make the YawVR work properly with an HMD (like the Rift S) so your view in game doesn't yaw/pitch/roll when the YawVR moves. I posted about it on the forum here: http://forum.yawvr.com/discussion/142/motion-compensation#latest

We were also discussing Rift S motion compensation here: http://forum.yawvr.com/discussion/132/rift-s-motion-cancellation#latest

• supatrupa. yes you're absolutely right (of course, you seem to have a good grasp of VR stuff). Finally got the device pitching at least, braking is OK, simply look upwards a bit, accelerating with a view of the sky only, not so good, only saving grace is that acceleration is the least important sense in a car. Still can't get roll to work on the device, even with yawvr default settings in the game engine, imagined that might be an answer given they seem to have used Assetto Corsa during development. Ho Hum.

Everything seems to move in rather a jittery fashion, not smooth at all, I wonder about the tracker system. The shell loses tracking before the indicator light goes red, is this normal? When it's green it's flashing at I'd guess about 20Hz, is this normal?

• It sounds like you might need to charge your tracker, it might be low on battery. I've not had a problem with it losing tracking, at least not that I've noticed. I think when I've used it the green light is pretty solid, although it may pulse a little.

Regarding the movements for Assetto Corsa, I'm betting would have better luck with Sim Racing Studio (SRS). I've tried to get info about the various settings in the YawVR game engine but nobody ever responded to me on the forum. I had to login to the discord channel and I got some info there... maybe you need to tweak something from the defaults to get roll to do what you want.

• I start any diagnosis by charging the device until the blue light goes white, hence perhaps that's unlikely to be the core issue. Battery life may be of course. I also check the tracker is working at the start by looking at the picture on the app as I move the shell by hand.

A few years back I converted a car from carburettors to electronic fuel injection, the single most demanding task, patience-wise, was getting my laptop to consistently talk to the fuel computer for set-up changes. I'm getting a whole heap of deja-vu with Assetto Corsa talking to yawvr. The only reliable way to effect any changes such that at least pitch works is to shut down the game, the device and restart both. There's a non-zero possibility that as I get into all this stuff it becomes less about driving a car and more about getting a simulator to work as best as possible.

I suppose it's whatever challenge suits you best ;-) ?

• I was able to contact YAW VR tech support and they were able to help in regard to the problem you are referring too, because I had the exact same issue. They want you to use "What's App" to talk to them, that way its free for both parties. The Ukraine is 7hours ahead of us so the earlier you can call the better. The main guy i talked with was called "Mate". Send him an email through the address they have posted on their website. He can also access your computer remotely to help with diagnosis. Hope this helps.

• Please can you send an email to support@yawvr.com