Rift S Motion Cancellation

Hi there,

got my yaw vr pro some weeks ago and think I got it now: there's no way of motion cancellation for Rift S users, isn't it?

Would it be possible to use my DK2 or TrackIR for motion cancellation?

BR

connan

Comments

• Hi Connan,

I don't believe it is possible for DK2, check out this article which I found interesting: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/trips-treatise-on-motion-compensation-and-enclosed-simulators.14150/

I have a CV1 that I'd like to use but am losing hope.

• I just noticed this in the FAQ, last question:

"...  but for Oculus motion compensation is currently not available."

• Yeah, but they also write that it's perfectly immersive when yaw ist disabled. It's not, not really.

But your right, knew. What I'm struggling with is that I don't get why there's not such a possibility. We could even use 2 oculus touch controllers, one inside and one outside to get the difference in attitude. I just don't understand why there is no way to do so. Even not as a hack or something.

• Yeah, I think the barrier for Oculus devices is that the driver for OpenVR sucks. There is a note on the OpenVR Motion Compensation library website to this effect regarding Oculus Rift S and Touch controllers: https://ovrmc.dschadu.de/en/testeddevices

Maybe we "just" need a skilled developer who can bring the Oculus devices onboard with that piece of software? ... I'm sure it's not easy or the author would have probably done it already.

• I think the inside out Oculus devices could in theory work the same as Reverb G2 and WMR controllers, but due to closed ecosystem there likely won't be support in a third party tool like OpenVR Motion Compensation. In theory Rift CV1 could be superior since the controller could be placed right behind your head (not possible w/ Oculus inside out tracking due to no cameras on the back), but again it seems hamstrung by the closed ecosystem.

• The problem with the oculus headset's is that the only one providing support on steamvr is valve. So they are supplying the driver for the device to my knowledge without any help of oculus themselves. But to be honest I was not aware that this is a deal breaker for OpenVR. I thought motion cancellation could be applied regardless of the source of the sensors. But regardless in case of the CV1 shouldn't it be possible to mount one of the cameras on the shell? I think I saw something similar on another sim somewhere. The problem with this approach is sure that the mounting-point has to be very stiff, which makes it kinda hard. Maybe one could place it on the holder plates.

• With the CV1 it is not possible to apply motion compensation by mounting a camera on the shell, because the HMD and controllers use IMU sensors in addition to the optical tracking to determine position and rotation. The IMU sensors are reading acceleration, gravity, maybe even magnetic north. When you put the camera on the shell this causes the optical tracking data to disagree strongly with the IMU tracking data which results in big problems.

You are right that people did try this approach, but it failed.

When you mention the mounting point stiffness I think you are confusing an issue with lighthouse tracking. Apparently with lighthouse tracking you have to use vibration dampening when you mount the controller because otherwise the motion compensation is shaky. It doesn't matter how firmly you mount a CV1 camera, the optical tracking that it observes will be wildly different than IMU sensors resulting in disaster.

To be honest, I don't understand why the Valve provided driver is a deal-breaker for OpenVR Motion Compensation. I just noted that this was the explanation on the project website for why Rift S and Touch controllers don't work properly with it. It seems to me like Rift CV1 and touch controllers should be able to work the same as lighthouse devices, but apparently the Valve driver has some serious flaw related to image compositing: https://ovrmc.dschadu.de/en/testeddevices

• Oh this sucks, I didn't thought about the IMU sensors... I guess this indeed renders this impossible. At least for now... Even though the Headsets are good I think Oculus as a company really sucks because of this very reason. They are like apple for VR, nice product but closed eco-system!

• edited December 2020

Yeah, the fact that there are IMU sensors involved and not just optical tracking means you can't trick the optical tracking by mounting a camera on the YawVR (CV1) or by surrounding the YawVR shell w/ a box (Rift S, Quest, Quest 2).

For Rift CV1, the only viable option is to set it up the same as the lighthouse devices (Index,Vive): Cameras on static mounts in the room, and a reference controller mounted to the YawVR to track it's position. You can use the ideal location for the mounted controller (on the seat back behind your head) because the CV1's external cameras can see it there.

For Rift S/Quest/Quest2, the only viable option is to mount a reference controller in front of you so the HMD cameras which look forward and sideways can see it. (This is the same for Reverb HMDs since they use inside-out tracking) Probably you would mount it between your legs, or maybe off to the side. Either way, there are downsides since it isn't on the same side of the center of rotation as your head. This article explains the issues with where the reference controller is mounted: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/trips-treatise-on-motion-compensation-and-enclosed-simulators.14150/

But, unless OpenVR Motion Compensation can be fixed to work properly with Oculus devices this is all moot. I will probably open an issue on their GitHub site just to have a conversation about why it doesn't work. Maybe we can chat on their discord server about it too:

• Thanks a lot for that detailed, although disillusioning answer ;)

Struggling for what to use my expensive furniture now 😅

• I know the feeling... I'm in the same boat. I've narrowed my choices to either trying to sell it to someone else or buy a Valve Index.

The Index looks cool, so I'm a little tempted. But it is lower resolution than my Quest 2 and I wasn't really planning to step outside the Oculus ecosystem yet... I have a lot of Oculus store games that I still like to play with my Rift CV1, and setting up lighthouse tracking along side my Rift CV1 cameras is kind of ridiculous... but I guess I could still play them with Quest 2 and link... /shrug

It's just annoying to be forced to buy more VR equipment, I already own too much. It's over $1k for all the Valve Index stuff I'd need I think, and I'm not even sure how well motion compensation works for lighthouse tracked devices. I guess I need to find out more about that before going that route...

Does anyone who reads this forum use motion compensation with a Vive or Index? And do you find that it works well? Or is it... just kind of okay?

• A glimmer of hope - apparently Virtual Desktop v1.17.1 works with OpenVR Motion Compensation with Oculus Quest and Quest2. I haven't tried it myself yet, but will report back once I do. The bummer is it apparently doesn't work in the latest version (v1.18.4), so you have to get ahold of the old APK and deal with constantly re-installing it whenever it auto-updates to the newer one...

• edited December 2020

With help from YawVR community I got motion compensation working with my Quest2: http://forum.yawvr.com/discussion/142/motion-compensation#latest