What are the definitions for inputs and outputs available in the game engine?

I see the following inputs, most of which are obvious and one I do not understand:

• Yaw
  • Pitch
  • Roll
  • Acceleration
  • Speed
  • Constant: What is this? Does it evaluate to 1.0 or something?

I see the following outputs, some of which are obvious and two I do not understand:

• Yaw
  • Pitch
  • Roll
  • Amp: amplitude... magnitude of vibration (large/small)? or something else?
  • HZ: hertz... freQuency... how close together or far apart vibrations are?
  • SPLUG: I have no idea what this could be, anyone?

Comments

• Also, I'm confused about how the multiplier is applied. I would assume it is used to scale the telemetry value by multiplying it by the multiplier, but I'm confused with the Elite Dangerous profile defaults. For example why would the Pitch multiplier be 24.68? Does this mean 1 degree of pitch in the game results in 24.68 degrees of pitch on the Yaw VR? This seems backward to me...

• Finally, how is the smoothing value used? And am I just missing some documentation somewhere? I didn't see any.

• Oh no, I was relying on you to give me a sensible answer on this one supatrupa. I've been in touch with support at yawvr but haven't had the input/output situation properly explained to me. It's almost as if the person who did the original coding has left the company and the remaining engineers don't know how it works.

Have to vent my irritation for a moment here... why do software engineers describe something as 'plug and play', or 'one click'. In the mechanical engineering world we call that 'poke and hope', it never results in a happy customer.

I've followed the instructions to the letter, used the game engine 'default' settings for the device having selected Assetto Corsa as the game and even taken a video of me 'driving'. Whilst there is clear pitch and yaw, it steadfastly refuses to roll, even in response to violent weaving and ultimately a spin.

The random 'test' mode does seem to [mostly] work as intended, including roll.

Can anyone add anything to the mystery of how to work this thing?

• I did get an answer about SPLUG on the discord channel:

• SPLUG (output) is for smartplug, which I think is something the YawVR team sells. It is for fans to simulate wind or something. For my purposes, this output will always be ignored.

I believe the other inputs/outputs are as I described above... but this could be tested out with Sim Racing Studio pretty easily. @RichardPH I really recommend you give Sim Racing Studio (SRS) a try, rather than using the game engine.

• I would guess that the Assetto Corsa telemetry is not sending roll and YawVR Game Engine is only going to roll specifically on this input. SRS probably interprets various inputs and translates them into a roll output, so I'm betting it will act more like what you want.

• I found a video on youtube of a lady doing a short drive in Assetto Corsa, her yawvr doesn't roll either and she's using the yawvr game engine

I've contacted support with this info and more questions. TBH it's in their interests to make the simulator easier for no-nothings like myself to get to grips with (although fast getting there!). We'll see how it goes. I take your point about SRS though supatrupa, I may end up there in the fullness..

• Have to vent my irritation for a moment here... why do software engineers describe something as 'plug and play', or 'one click'. In the mechanical engineering world we call that 'poke and hope', it never results in a happy customer.

I've followed the instructions to the letter, used the game engine 'default' settings for the device having selected Assetto Corsa as the game and even taken a video of me 'driving'. Whilst there is clear pitch and yaw, it steadfastly refuses to roll, even in response to violent weaving and ultimately a spin.

Alight Motion is the first professional motion design app for computer!

• @ervinjason Sorry to hear that you've been having problems. Yaw1 isn't plug n play but Yaw2 is closer to that. The problem lies with the game devs as some games don't support telemetry so it's harder for motion platforms to fully support movements. We have a list of games that we currently support on our website www.yawvr.com. If you require any help please contact us support@yawvr.com

Best regards

Yaw VR forum admin

• edited February 2023

It can be confusing when you're trying to wrap your head around technical terms, especially if they don't seem super intuitive.

Regarding the inputs, ""Constant"" is often used to set a specific value that stays the same, as opposed to a value that changes based on player inputs or game events. As for the outputs, ""Amp"" usually refers to the amplitude or the magnitude of vibration or waveform. ""HZ"" stands for Hertz, and it's used to describe the frequency of a vibration or waveform. As for ""SPLUG,"" I'm not sure what that one could be, but maybe checking out the Multitechverse community or reaching out to the game engine support team for clarification would be a good idea!

• Splug is Smartplug the rest of the lingo you did good.