Open-VR Motion Cancellation by Dschadu

edited July 2021 in Motion Cancellation

How to use:

Open Settings

There are two ways to open the settings page:

1: In VR, open the Steam Dashboard (menu button on the controller). In the bottom left is a new icon, a small cogwheel. Click on this icon to bring up the OVRMC overlay

2: Go to the install folder and click on "startdesktopmode.bat". This will open OVRMC on your regular desktop.

Top page

• HMD: Choose the HMD you use (usually only one should appear)
  • Reference Tracker: Choose the tracker / controller you want to use as reference.
  • Status: Shows the current status of the selected tracker / controller.
  • Identify: Sends a haptic pulse to the selected device. (Does not work in current version)
  • Enable Motion Compensation: Enable motion compensation with the selected devices.
  • Settings: Opens the Settings Page
  • Apply: Apply and save the chosen settings. Also sets the reference pose.

Settings page

• Motion Compensation mode: Choose the motion compensation mode. Currently there is only one.
  • LPF Beta value: Filter setting for rotation. Needs to be between 0 and 1. Set to 1 to disable. Use the +- Buttons to increase / decrease in 0.05 steps.
  • Samples: Filter setting for translation. Use the +- Buttons to increase / decrease by 5.
  • Set Velocity and Acceleration to zero: Set all Velocity and Acceleration values to zero that are send to the HMD. This might help with rendering issues, specially with Oculus and WMR HMDs.
  • Offset for virtual Driver: Use this settings to change the virtual tracker position in 3d-space. Values are in millimetre and degrees. This has only an effect if you use a virtual tracker! If you are using a physical tracker these values will do nothing!

Keyboard Hotkeys

To set these values, you have to use the desktop mode. Go to the install folder and click on "startdesktopmode.bat".

Note: As of version 0.3.1 you have to restart SteamVR after you set the hotkeys in desktop-mode.

• Enable / Disable MC: Toggles the motion compensation on and off.
  • Reset Reference Pose: As the name says.

Filter settings

LPF Beta value

Values must be between 0 and 1. The number is the rate at which the filter follows a new value. A '1' means immediate adoption of the value. Where a '0' means no adoption.

A low filter-value will filter vibrations better, but you will notice a swimming or lagging picture, as it takes time for the filter to adapt to the real value.

You have to find the sweet spot for your setup. A good starting point is 0.2 for Lighthouse-Tracked devices.

Samples

A higher value will filter vibrations better, but you will notice a swimming or lagging picture if it is too high. Go with +-20 steps and tune from there.

Comments

• would this work with Oculus Rift S too?

• I don't know, you could try FlyPT mover

• @Sashmigo did you test it for oculus rift s?? i have just receive the yaw and i am very rookie on it.

thanks

• @jsilvafe The only way I can think of to get mc working is to use a anti vibration mount for your controller and mount on front of the shell as rift s uses inside out tracking.

• yes, but the inside-out tracking Hmd's (S + Quest) didn't have any great success as far as Yaw is concerned. Now I'm on the waiting list for the index. So change to LH tracking.

• OK, thanks¡¡¡

• Here is a good writeup about why motion compensation will not really work for Oculus or any HMD system that uses IMU sensors: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/trips-treatise-on-motion-compensation-and-enclosed-simulators.14150/

• @supatrupa Does that also include hp reverb g2? If so then looks like I'll be selling my yawvr

• @VRBabe14 Don't you have a Vive? I was thinking those headsets had motion compensation kinda sorta working, no?

I'm sure the Reverb G2 will have similar problems to every other headset. To summarize, the problem is that the headset position should only move when you move it - not when the YawVR moves. A proper solution would require tracking YawVR movement and sending it to the HMD software so the YawVR movement can be subtracted out. I suspect this would require manufacturer support to be implemented properly but I don't really know...

I wish the YawVR technical folks would cover this topic extensively and publicly on the forum so those of us who bought these expensive products could get a little insight into what is possible, what might come down the road, and which HMDs get the best experience with which setups.

We the users should not be left to scrounge the internet for details. Also I think it is misleading to prospective buyers to show all these videos of people using the device and claiming it is integrated with a bunch of apps - none of the integrations cover motion compensation. The kicker is, the product is named Yaw and you have to disable (or massively limit) yaw when you use it or you have huge problems!

• edited December 2020

@supatrupa I don't have vive sorry. I agree with you because the reason I purchased YawVr was because it says it supports oculus hmd's. I didn't even know about mc until I kept seeing users talk about it. I'm very angry that I wasn't told that my quest 1 wouldn't work with yawvr to it's full potential aka yaw axis after all the quest 1 and 2 are wireless. Now I thought that hp reverb g2 would work with mc so I purchased that and yet again I'm told that mc isn't compatible with wmr. So I've spent thousands for nothing. I feel like crying 😢

• @VRBabe14 yeah... I feel a bit duped as well. I was swayed by a couple articles on roadtovr.com, and neither of them mentioned this major motion compensation problem. I guess shame on me for not doing more homework before pulling the trigger, but I was excited and the problem of motion compensation just never occurred to me.

Yaw VR developers - can you please give the community some guidance about this issue?

• @supatrupa You'll need to send them an email support@yawvr.com

• I sent an email with a link to this thread. I hope they can respond with some useful information.

• @supatrupa Yes, me too because other new customers will have quest 2 and reverb g2 and other wmr etc. This is very important and thank you for petitioning this.

• OpenVR Motion Compensation appears to be an active product with a release in November 2020. @VRBabe14 I see it lists HP Reverb with WMR controllers as working: https://ovrmc.dschadu.de/en/testeddevices

It seems Oculus devices are unsupported due to Facebook's closed system and refusal to support Steam. I tried this out with my Rift CV1 and it didn't really do anything useful, I saw lots of black border anytime I moved.

Has anyone had good success with it with Vive, Index, or Reverb?

• @supatrupa Thank you for researching which devices work with this mc. Okies so wmr works which include hp reverb g2 but Facebook q2 doesn't due to the closed ecosystem and unfortunately Facebook won't allow it. Only solution is to wait for white hats to unlock the quest 1 and 2

• I wouldn't pin any hope on unlocking the quest 1 and 2 being helpful. I think if you want to use YawVR you better pick a non-oculus HMD.

• Exciting "news"! I confirmed last night that OpenVR Motion Compensation (OVRMC) does indeed work with Oculus Quest 2 when using Virtual Desktop v1.17.1. I tested it out using Elite Dangerous, and it worked for yaw/pitch/roll. From what I understand, this should also work for Quest and any WMR HMD (like Reverb G2).

Here are the caveats:

• Virtual Desktop's latest version is v1.18.4 and I do not believe it works with OVRMC, so you have to manually roll back to the earlier version. I used SideQuest to sideload the v1.17.1 apk and then installed the VirtualDesktop SideQuest VR patch which enables wireless connection to the PC. Then I installed the old v1.17.1 VirtualDesktop streamer app on my PC.
    • VirtualDesktop loves to update itself, so I have to reload the old version on both the HMD and my PC pretty much every time I play.
    • There was a bit of latency in the motion compensation, and this was particularly problematic for yaw. I don't know why yaw had more latency than pitch/roll, or if it just appeared to be more problematic, but I ended up disabling yaw after a while and the whole experience was much better.
  • @supatrupa That's great news but what's changed between v1.17.1 and latest vd? Has anyone contacted ggodin to tell him that the latest version of vd has broken mc?

• @VRBabe14 yes, this ticket was opened: http://feedback.vrdesktop.net/?ia=135041

It seems the latest version of Virtual Desktop can be used with motion compensation for Quest2 by simply specifying a flag for the streamer app when starting it up: /DisableRenderPose

• @supatrupa Does that also include quest 1 and hp reverb g2?

• @supatrupa - What's your yawvr config app values your yaw axis mc for quest 2 via link vr please?