True wireless YAW VR: Oculus Quest 2 Virtual Desktop and OVRMC

1/2

Oculus quest 2 HMD (also applies to Quest 1) is a great device that allows us to use VR wirelessly with great visual quality. Being able to use a wireless HMD with YAW VR is an ideal scenario since it allows us to enjoy all the freedom of movement of YAW VR including 360º rotations in the yaw axis (ideal for helicopters).

There are many tutorials on how to use the Quest 2 with the PC wirelessly with VirtualDesktop so we will not repeat the steps here and we will go directly to the steps to use motion compensation with the Quest.

For version 1.18 onwards, with VD streamer installed in order to use it and use motion compensation, we must launch the application with an argument behind the executable.

/DisableRenderPose

To do so, we just have to right click on the VirtualDesktop streamer shortcut icon and look for the properties menu. There in the "Destination" field we find the path to the executable, we have to write after the quotes /DisableRenderPose.

(If you have access to version 1.17 of Virtual Desktop apk for Quest and version 1.17 of the Virtual Desktop Streamer for PC we can skip all the previous steps and go directly to the next step.)

After that you have to install the program that we will use for motion compensation:

Open VR Motion compensation (OVRMC).

https://github.com/openvrmc/OpenVR-MotionCompensation

Just follow the installation instructions.

Comments

• 2/2

Once installed, within SteamVR when open steamVR menu overlay and you should see an icon of a gear in the lower left. If not, you will have to open the Steam VR options menu and look in the start/shutdown section if there are blocked programs. If so, we must unlock both the application and the Open VR motion Compensation add-on and restart Steam VR.

Once you see the icon, click on it to enter the OVRMC menu and in the drop-down menu that shows the controls to use as reference tracker for movement compensation, we choose one of the quest controllers, the one we want to use as reference tracker and mark the box where it says motion compensation, after that click on apply.

To check if it works, simply move the chosen device and the virtual space should move following its movements.

Now you should be able to use your YAW VR and with OVRMC have movement compensated. You will need a way to attach your controller to the motion rig in a way that it can be seen for quest cameras.

Keep in mind that using this method the motion controllers will rotate on the yaw axis with space. They will rotate both the one we use as a reference tracker and the one that is free, leaving it unused. This is not the case with lighthouse devices.

In another post I will explain how to turn any USB device into wireless and thus be able to have a completely wireless YAW VR.

• @Dandealer nice, thanks for adding this info to the forum!

• Finally a single place to understand once and for all how to enjoy Yaw with a Quest 1 and MotionCompensation.

My first attempt unfortunately ended in the sky out of my Cessna. But I haven't said my last word.

A big thank you to you for this brilliant idea to post this clear message! I didn't know where to look in Discord anymore.

👍️@Dandealer

• Tonight I got my wireless Quest 2 setup working with motion compensation using the components that @Dandealer mentioned above: Quest2, VirtualHere, VirtualDesktop, OVRMC. I tested this in Elite Dangerous, and OVRMC settings I used were:

• LPF Beta = 0.7
    • DEMA samples = 72

I use CH Products Fighterstick Pro and Pro Throttle, Saitek Pro flight pedals. All of these are plugged into a powered USB 4 port hub, which I plug into my Quest2. I also mounted a 10,000 mAh powerbank to my YawVR headrest and fitted an adapter so it could provide power to the USB hub.

Just for fun, I thought I'd share my pre-flight checklist to get this all working with Elite Dangerous, though it would really apply to any game where you want to use a HOTAS wirelessly with your Quest 2. Keep in mind, these steps don't include all the setup you have to do to get this working in the first place! These are the steps you have to repeat every time you play:

1. Attach the left controller for the Quest2 to the YawVR.
    2. Power on the YawVR and wait for it to start (LEDs stop blinking and go to solid colors)
    3. Enable the YawVR motors with key
    4. Power on the YawVR tracker, ensure LED changes to solid green
    5. Plug power brick into USB hub on YawVR to provide power to joysticks.
    6. Start Sim Racing Studio (SRS) on PC and click Hardware tab on left, Setup tab on top. Scroll to Motion section and locate calibration reticle.
    7. Manually center the YawVR seat on all 3 axis and click the calibration reticle in SRS.
    8. Start the VirtualDesktop streamer on the PC.
    9. Power on the Quest2 and start the VirtualHere server in the HMD.
    10. Start the VirtualHere client on the PC and position on the main screen. Confirm it connects to an Android hub (Quest2).
    11. Sit in the YawVR with Quest2 and any keymapping cheat-sheets. Buckle up.
    12. Plug USB hub into the Quest2. Confirm joysticks appear in the PC VirtualHere client.
    13. Put on the Quest2 and start VirtualDesktop (but do not exit VirtualHere!)
    14. Calibrate joysticks from within VirtualDesktop by opening CH Control Manager
    15. Start Elite Dangerous using VirtualDesktop menu and Games tab.
    16. Once at menu screen of Elite Dangerous, open SteamVR menu with left controller and go to desktop. Click on Elite Dangerous game window to give it focus so joysticks work.
    17. Click OVRMC gear icon in SteamVR interface and enable motion compensation. Adjust settings as desired.
    18. Re-enter Elite Dangerous and start to fly. Sit straight in the chair, re-center HMD and reset OVRMC reference pose.
    19. Start to play!

So... a 19 point checklist before flying that probably takes me 10-15 mins to complete. Not exactly frictionless, but it works. I just thought this might be good info for newcomers so they know what to expect.

• I've found VirtualHere startup to be a bit flaky. Just in case anyone tries to use the above pre-flight checklist, I thought I better provide a couple clarifications:

1. You must start the VirtualHere client on your PC before you start the VirtualHere server on your Quest.
    2. When you start VirtualHere on your quest, you must wear the headset and stare at the pointless white VirtualHere screen for 30s to a minute until the Android Hub shows up in the PC client. Just keep peeking out through the hole by your nose until you see it show up.

I believe this is because the server only broadcasts its presence at startup, so if the VirtualHere client isn't running on your PC when you start VirtualHere on your Quest, it will never see it because it will miss the broadcast. Also, for some reason leaving the VirtualHere screen or even taking off the HMD before the client finds it causes it to never be found... at least in my limited testing.

• @supatrupa I am trying to get Elite Dangerous to cooperate with my YawVR chair with no luck. I am also using the Quest 2 and Virtual Here with my Logitech X52 HOTAS. I am just using the Yaw Game Engine though, not SRS. I have not been able to get it to work. Once my ship launches, the chair starts jerking around. Is SRS using telemetry or just joystick input? If the Game Engine won’t work, I might as well give SRS a try.

• @Gargoylz I also had terrible results with the game engine and Elite Dangerous, although I've heard others have gotten it to work. I think it would be better to pay for SRS and use that. It's a pretty slick product. It sucks to spend $50 on it or whatever, but it makes the YawVR experience better and you've already dropped $1500-$2k on the chair, so what's an extra $50? :-p

• When I finally get it, I'm planning on using my Yaw2 Pro

for XPlane 11-12 VR flight simulation w/Quest 2. I would also like to

use it with Earth VR for "flying" around the earth, etc.

mainly for the real imagery, etc..

Anyone have any thoughts about how to make a Yaw2

and Earth VR respond to Joystick and power lever movements in Earth VR??

TBoone Fisher EE ATP

Pecan Plantation, TX, 0TX1

• edited July 2022

@tbfisher You can use the joystick plugin SRS (Sim Racing Studio)

Best regards

Yaw VR forum admin