Non-Steam games and Epic games versions not working in game engine

How do you get the NON-STEAM versions of certain games to work? Standalone games where you enter Yaw IP work fine it seems but non-steam games are giving me a lot of grief.

I am trying to play Star Wars Squadrons on my Yaw 1 and it is the Epic Games version not Steam version so it is not going well at all. I got the game free in 2021 as well as Elite Dangerous back in 2020 also on epic games and that won’t work either it seems. More than 6 hours last night trying with Squadrons and no luck whatsoever.

I don’t want to buy the games again on Steam or buy SRS or Simtools licenses either, so why does the game engine seem to only support Steam launch or am I missing something here?

I have tried adding games to steam library and manually launching from that after starting the plugin, but this only starts the plugin for a short time saying status ‘in game’ like all is good but then once Squadrons loads up and logs in and the plugin just stops immediately.

I tried patching the game but it didn't make a difference.

Is there something I should be doing and could someone, anyone please help me?

I am absolutely busting to play this game so bad.

Thanks guys. 

Comments

• **Update**

I can get to start the game with the plugin still enabled (says in game and does not disable plugin plugin once game starts) but there is no response from the YAW 1 for any in game movements.

I even tried the joystick plugin for my Saitek x52 pro HOTAS but the YAW VR is unresponsive. It works somewhat with the XBox One controller plugin but movement is limited to slight movements without any real control and more like shaking about than actually moving with any sort of precision.

Has anyone else had any luck with these? If so how did you manage it?

Hope someone responds soon as getting a bit desperate now.

• Steam version works as the game plugin has no DRM from epic games. You could create game plugin for non steam version.

• Thanks VRBabe14

Forgive my ignorance as I am new to this, but how do I creat a plugin for YawVR game engine? I need to do Elite Dangerous as well then probably or any other Epic Games versions.

I am using the YawVR game engine BTW and nothing else.

• edited June 2023

**SOLVED**

So after investigating this further I have found that telemetry is only supprted in the steam version of Star Wars Squadrons and only when disabling easy Anti-Cheat and blocking online access to the executables in the game folder.

I could not get it working with Game Engine at all, so I bit the bullet and bought both the steam version of Squadrons and SRS which seems to work using SpaceMonkeyTM and the Squadrons game profile after disabling easy Anti cheat and internet access as prevIusly mentioned.

I figured I would close this in case anyone else came looking in future, as I had to dig into this to find out myself because nobody really mentions much about the details anywhere, so maybe this could help save someone else the headache in future.

I may try this with a repacked version of the game and post back later if it works as well, just in case anyone has the EA or Epic versions of the game and wants to run a backup for offline only use instead of paying again for the steam version when they already own the game.

Will get back with results of that when I have the time.

As for Elite Dangerous, that worked fine with the Epic games version. A bit janky in Game Engine but smooth in SRS so nothing really needing to do there.