New YAW VR Owner

Hi all,

My wife surprised me with a Yaw VR for my 40th birthday a month ago and I've enjoyed playing around with it! So far I've used Epic Roller Coasters with my Quest, and No Limits 2 with my Rift CV1. No Limits 2 was pretty amazing.

My next goal is to get it working with Elite Dangerous...

I built a 3/4" thick plywood plate to mount my Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals and used some adhesive foam to secure my CH Products FighterStick Pro, CH Products Pro Throttle, and Belkin n52 Nostromo. I also slapped an unpowered USB 4 port hub onto it to get down to 2 wires: The hub wire trailing off the pedals and the Rift CV1 wire trailing off my head... :-) I have both of those routed into a KIWI design VR cable management system to get them out of the way to allow at least a little rotation.

I am thinking about finding a powered USB hub with a battery, and a Raspberry Pi with a battery to run Virtual Here and completely remove the cable from the USB hub... maybe some day :-)

Comments

• I have been reading on the forum about motion cancellation for Elite Dangerous, and am thinking about how I might accomplish this... it sounds like I will need to find a way to mount a Rift CV1 touch controller somewhere. An early idea involves purchasing a bunch of expensive stuff from Glistco:

Then I could zip tie or tape the tube under the plate holding the throttle and have it come out the back, allowing me to mount the touch controller behind it... not sure yet. Does anyone have a better solution for holding the touch controller securely?? From what I was reading there is some drift involved with motion cancellation and I'm guessing the more the controller wiggles around, the worse it is.

• Welcome to the yawvr family x

• After some more investigation it has become clear that motion compensation with Oculus Rift is not possible. It is also likely not possible with Oculus Quest and Oculus Quest 2. This is due to their reliance on IMU sensors which sense gravity and affect rotations. Check out this article for details: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/trips-treatise-on-motion-compensation-and-enclosed-simulators.14150/

This is pretty disappointing, and not something I knew to look into before buying this device. The lack of information about this on the YawVR website and the forum is a problem. I suppose I could buy a VR headset with lighthouse tracking, but I'm not optimistic it would be worth it.

Also, the complete lack of engagement on the forum from YawVR employees is disappointing. I understand that they can't respond to everything immediately, but posts on this forum are rare, and after a week they should have time to respond to a post.

• After more investigation I realized my above comment is not accurate. The problem with Oculus devices isn't that they use IMU sensors. That just means you can't mount the camera to the YawVR shell. The problem is they're not supported by OpenVR Motion Compensation which is pretty much the only game in town.

However - there is a new #motioncompensation channel on the YawVR discord server where people have talked about an older version of VirtualDesktop (v1.17.1) which has motion compensation for Oculus Quest/Quest 2 when used with OpenVR Motion Compensation. I just got the old version of VirtualDesktop working with my Quest 2, which also enables wireless VR from your PC (amazing). Soon I will see if motion compensation works at all for the Quest 2 with this setup.

If it does, that would be fantastic! However... it is still pretty janky since you have to install an old version of VirtualDesktop and it keeps trying to update itself... PITA but at least there's hope.

• edited December 2020

With help from YawVR community I got motion compensation working with my Quest2: http://forum.yawvr.com/discussion/142/motion-compensation#latest